For reliable dental solutions, choose our office in Alpharetta, GA. Be sure to follow these directions after your procedure to minimize delays in recovery.
Postoperative Instructions After Extractions
- Keep biting on the gauze for one hour straight. Do not change the gauze before one hour.
- If it is still oozing after you take the gauze out, roll up more gauze and bite down for another 30 minutes.
- If oozing continues, moisten a tea bag and bite it for another 30 minutes.
- Keep your fingers and tongue away from the socket.
- Do not suck through straws, smoke, or rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours.
- Do not drink sodas or hot liquids for the first 24 hours. These beverages can disturb the clotting process.
- Eat whatever you can tolerate.
- Do not do heavy physical activity for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Please call the office if you are experiencing something out of the ordinary.
Postoperative Instructions After Root Planing and Scaling
- Expect some soreness and bleeding following the procedure.
- Treat the area as you would a sore muscle. Massage it using a brush and a Waterpik. This will stimulate circulation and promote healing.
- Rinse your mouth with hot salt water (1/2 tsp salt in 8 oz water). The water should be very warm but not hot enough to burn.
- Expect possible sensitivity to air or cold liquids as healing takes place.
- Due to the healing process, there may be some root sensitivity.
- Take all medications as prescribed.
- Use CloSYS oral rinse in Waterpik (10 parts water to 1 part CloSYS).
- Please call if you are experiencing anything you consider out of the ordinary.
Postoperative Instructions for Crown and Bridge
- You may experience some soreness around the gum tissue depending on how deep we have to go to seal the tooth (under decay, fractures, or previous fillings).
- Rinse your mouth with hot salt water (1/2 tsp salt in 8 oz water). The water should be very warm but not hot enough to burn. Rinse for a few days or more if soreness is still there.
- Use a Waterpik between the teeth to increase the circulation and to accelerate healing.
- Do not chew anything sticky (caramels, gum, or hard candy) until you get the porcelain crown.
- When you floss, pull the floss out the side and not back through the tooth.
- If soreness or pain exists after a few days or you cannot chew comfortably, please give us a call.
- If the temporary crown/bridge comes loose, put it back on with denture adhesive and call us. We do not want the teeth to shift. Please do not use super glue.
Instructions for TMJ Dysfunction
- Eat soft food only.
- Cut food into small bite-sized pieces.
- Chew on both sides of your mouth.
- Limit opening your jaw wide. While yawning, put your put hand under your chin.
- Place moist heat over sore areas for 20-minute intervals.
- Medication: Take one to two tablets of Aleve twice a day.
- Keep teeth apart and lips together when not chewing food.
- Do exercises.
- Form big circles with your tongue against your cheek. Do this routine 15 times on each side twice a day.
- Place a drinking straw behind your front teeth. Squeeze the straw up and down for 5–10 minutes.
- Do not chew gum.